- Use the man page command man <command> to find out more
about the following commands
- You could also combine various commands together using the following
operators. Find out from your lab instructor
what these stand for and how to use them.
Now see if you can answer the following questions using the commands you have
- Give a "long" listing of the largest 5 files in the /etc directory whose
name contains the string ".conf", sorted by decreasing file size.
- All the commands listed above are actually programs of the UNIX system.
Where on the unix system are these programs located? How will you find
out the full path names of these programs?
- Find the number of lines in which the string "is" occurs in your file Ragging.txt.
- Find the number of lines in which the string " is
" occurs in your file Ragging.txt.
- Can you account for the differences in these two numbers?
- Create a signature file called .signature giving
details of your name, address, hostel and phone numbers and email addresses.
- Find out how this .signature file is used to save you the trouble of separately signing every mail that you send.
Set it up in your favourite mailer.
Last modified: Sat Aug 5 19:06:20 2006