COL781 Computer Graphics
Assignment 1: Ray Tracing
Due Date : 29.1.2018
This assignment involves implementation of recursive
ray tracing as discussed in the class with the following features
- A scene with objects of the type: polygon (plane), and sphere,
quadric and a box. While specifying the object one needs to give the
geometry and material properties.
- Local illumination model (Phong) with diffuse, specular and ambient
- Multiple light sources.
- Global illumination with reflection, refraction and shadows.
- Implement anti-aliasing using supersampling.
- Input using a file (your own format or a general format e.g. povray compliant)
- Specify eye/camera in viewing coordinate system (VCS) as done in the
viewing pipe line.
- Perform intersection computation in world coordinate system (WCS). This would
require appropriate transformation from VCS to WCS and vice versa.
- The final image can be rendered using OpenGL (3.0 or above) or any
suitable image preview/display tool.
- The assignment can be done in any programming language, however it
is recommended that C/C++ be used as it will be simpler to embed OpenGL in
the subsequent assignments.
- The submission will happen through moodle and exact instruction will be
given soon for how to submit.
- The assignment can be done in a group of size 2 max. It is assumed that
both partners will participate in the assignment and accordingly evaluation
will be done. Once the partners are formed they can not change for susequent