The Department of Computer
Science and Engineering at IIT
Delhi is actively seeking applications for faculty positions at all
levels in all areas of Computer Science and Engineering. Applications for
sabbatical and short-term positions are also welcome. For more information
please direct all enquiries to head [AT] cse.iitd.ernet.in or
see the latest faculty
In addition to its already strong and well
known undergraduate programme, CSE at IITD has also emerged as a leading
department for research and graduate studies in Computer Science and
Engineering in India. Following are some reasons as to why CSE@IITD is an
attractive place to join as a faculty member.
research emphasis and congenial environment
of campus living
- The department has a strong faculty,
all Ph. D.'s from leading universities and active in research. The
department also attracts a regular stream of visiting faculty members.
This provides excellent opportunities for collaboration and joining
existing research groups.
- The department has a strong focus on research and provides an
excellent research environment. The department already has strong groups
in many research
areas and is looking to grow in other areas of CSE.
- The department regularly publishes in leading Journals and
Conferences in CSE. Check out the sample list of
- The department carries out a significant number of sponsored
projects funded by both industry and government agencies. With a
large number of multinational and technology giants opening up
operations in India, the opportunities for sponsored research and
consultancy assignments are excellent. The department provides
encouragement and support to new faculty members to build up research activity
through these channels.
- All new faculty members are supported with seed money (at present about Rs. 11,00,000) to kickstart their research activity.
- New faculty members have the choice of joining existing research
groups or of setting up new facilities and areas. In any case all
facilities and resources of the department are available to all faculty
members without any group boundaries.
- The department promotes and encourages inter-disciplinary research,
both within the department and outside.
- Finally, the department has excellent infrastructure with
laboratories supported by Microsoft, Cisco, Philips, Oracle and
RedHat. The department is soon shifting to a well-appointed, centrally
air-conditioned new building.
Faculty members at IITD
enjoy several benefits. Some of these are
- The department has one of the strongest Ph. D. programmes in CSE in
the country with a growing number of Ph. D.
students. Our graduates have done extremely well. Click here to see where some of our PhD graduates are working. Highlights of some
achievements of our Ph. D. students can be seen here and also check out the sample Ph.
- The department runs a 2-year Masters by Research
(MSR) programme for students with exceptionally strong background in
CSE. With only a semester of course work, the student spends about an year and a half on a thesis under the supervision of a faculty member.
- The department conducts a five year integrated Dual-degree (B.
Tech. and M. Tech.) programme in CSE. The entry into the programme is
through the JEE along with the B. Techs. The dual-degree students
typically devote close to two years for the masters thesis work.
- The department runs a two year M. Tech. in CSE in with a full year of thesis work.
- The department also participates in interdisciplinary Master's programmes viz.
M. Tech. in VLSI Design Tools and
Technology and an M. Tech. in Mathematics and Computer Applications.. Both the programmes have strong research components with
a full year of thesis work.
- Check out the sample Masters'
- Finally our undergraduates also have a strong tradition of carrying
out research in the B. Tech.
programme. Check out the sample undergraduate
- On-campus housing with free broadband Internet connections and
telephone bill reimbursements.
- Access to free on-campus medical care with substantial reimbursements for treatment costs in other recognized hospitals.
- Contingency grants which may be used to pay membership of
professional societies or for buying books.
- Travel support for attending national and international conferences
through IITD travel grants, IBM-IRL conference travel support for IITD
faculty and support from other government agencies.
- Flexibility to take up Industrial consultancy assignments.
- IITD has an excellent, green, spacious and peaceful campus right in
the heart of south Delhi with all the amenities of the city easily
- The campus has excellent facilities which include shopping centres,
a well equipped health centre and sports facilities which include
tennis, squash, badminton, table tennis, billiards and snooker,
gymnasiums, swimming pool, jogging tracks and cricket, football and
- The campus has regular cultural events which include music and dance
programmes, movies and various other activities organized by students.
- Delhi arguably has the best civic amenities of all Indian cities. It
also has some of the best schools in the country and provides excellent
employment opportunities for spouses.
- Delhi is also perhaps one of the best tourist attractions in the
country with a recorded history of a 1000 years. Apart from its rich
Mughal and British heritage, Delhi
provides easy access to a plethora of tourist spots. Agra, Jaipur,
Mathura, Alwar, Bharathpur, Dehradun, Haridwar, Rishikesh, Chandigarh,
Kasauli, Shimla, Corbet National Park and Nainital are all within a few
hours drive from Delhi. Delhi also provides the best access to
Rajasthan, Himachal, Punjab, Jammu and Kashmir, Garhwal, Kumaon and the upper Himalayas.